June 26, 2012

Staff Spotlight: Giles Ray


The time for camp is drawing closer and closer! In preparation for this summer we sat down with Giles Ray to see what he has been up to in the past year as well as what he will be doing here at camp!


Giles Ray
Orkila, Orkila: What is your history with camp? What units were you in as a camper, and what have you done as a staff member? What will you be doing this year?
GR: I've been involved with camp since I was only 4 or 5 years old. I was in Y-Guides with my dad until I was finally old enough to go to summer camp and I signed up for that as soon as I could. As a camper I was a Goodie, LizardHead, Mount Baker, GreyWolf, Archery Camp, Farm Camp, LDI, and CIT. As a staff member I have worked with LizardHeads, GreyWolves, A-Team, and Teen Expeditions. This year I am super excited to be working on the A-Team again!

Orkila, Orkila: What have you been up to this year? Where are you right now!?
GR: This year has been a lot of focus on finishing up high school, but in any spare time I have been spending as much time as I can outside climbing, hiking, and skiing. I also have been involved with the YRCLP program with camp as well as volunteering on the PWY campaign in the winter. Right now I'm actually interning with the camp directors at the Seattle offices for my Senior Project!

Orkila, Orkila: What's your favorite part of camp and what keeps you coming back?
GR: For me the greatest thing about camp, and also the thing that keeps me coming back every year is the amazing relationships that you make with all sorts of people at camp, both campers and counselors. Some of my best friends and the most amazing people I know I have met through camp and it is a great feeling. I also love the connection you can make with a camper in just one week and how much of an impact the campers can make on you, not just the impact you can make on them.

Orkila, Orkila: Why can't you ride "my little red wagon?"
GR: I heard the front wheel is broken and the axel may be dragging. But I bet if you ask Steve and Jason really nicely (and maybe bring them some pie) they would be able to fix it right up!

No comments:

Post a Comment